I am Jesus Alonso-Zarate. Hello!
Jesus is my name. Alonso is my last name (father’s). Zarate is my second last name (mother’s). I use the “Alonso-Zarate” together so that you can find me in the Internet. Try and look for me just using “Jesus Alonso”. Best of luck!
Some facts about me:
- On November 2019, I was awarded the “Young Researcher Award 2019” by the Spanish Royal Academy of Engineering for my research career. This award is aimed at researchers in the age below 40, for their contributions to the field of engineering, with particular focus on technology transfer.
- Since March 2021, I am Deputy Director of European Commission Research and Innovation Policies and Strategy at i2CAT Foundation, a research and innovation center located in Barcelona, and focused on digital technologies, such as 5G and beyond connectivity, Internet of Things, Artificial Intelligence, Cybersecurity, Space Communications, Immersive Media Applications (Virtual and Augmented reality), and the interaction between technology and society.
- Since November 2019, I am the Chairman of the 5G Automotive Working Group of the 5G-PPP (European 5G Public Private Partnership).
- Since 2005 to 2021, I was with the Centre Tecnològic de Telecomunicacions de Catalunya (CTTC) in Castelldefels, Barcelona. The CTTC is a CERCA research and technology center located in Castelldefels, Barcelona. I was Manager of the Communication Technologies Division, Head of the Machine-to-Machine Communications Department, and Senior Researcher.
- I am member of the European 5G-Initiative Steering Board (5G-PPP) since November 2018.
- I am member of the Verticals Task Force of the European 5G Infrastructure Association (since March 2020).
- I attracted more than 3.5 Million Euro to CTTC from 2010 to 2020.
- I have participated in more than 20 competitive public‐funded R&D Projects:
- I was the Project Coordinator (principal investigator) of a European-funded H2020 collaborative innovation action with 17 Million Euro budget (H2020-5GPPP-5GCroCo).
- Principal Investigator (PI) of 3 national-funded projects (Plan Nacional I+D+i): CO2GREEN, CELLFIVE, SPOT5G.
- National PI of a CHIST-ERA European project (FIREMAN).
- PI at CTTC of 4 European projects (FP7-FET-Flagship Guardian Angels, FP7-ITN-ADVANTAGE, H2020-5GPPP-5GCAR, H2020-5GMED).
- PI at CTTC of 1 Project with the European Space Agency (ESA), focused on studying IoT communications via satellites.
- PI at CTTC of 1 Project funded by the Direcció General de Recerca – Agrupacions Tecnològiques Emergents (FEMIOT), focused on promoting IoT technologies.
- PI at CTTC of 2 Technical Due Diligences about IoT-related start-ups.
- I have participated and participate in tech-transfer projects with companies.
- I have participated as member of the research team in a number of projects funded by the European Commission, and both Spanish and Catalan Governments.
- I frequently act as speaker in both national and international events.
- I hold some editorial appointments in scientific and technical publications.
- I am active publishing books, book chapters, and both conference and journal papers in scientific and technical conferences and publications.
About my interests:
- I continuously learn about Innovation, Digital Transformation, and Technology.
- I continuously learn about 5G and whatever comes next (6G?)
- I continuously learn about the Internet of Things (IoT).
- I continuously learn about Wireless Connectivity Technologies for the IoT.
- I lead and conduct research in the above two areas and publish technical papers.
- I apply for, manage, and conduct R&D+i projects within H2020, and similar programs.
- I apply for, manage, and conduct R&D+i projects funded by ACCIO, CDTI and MINECO.
- I conduct Innovation Technology Transfer projects with companies.
- I give public talks about 5G, the IoT and related applications: Connected Vehicles, Industry 4.0, Smart Grid, etc.
I collaborate with the following universities:
- I lecture on the IoT and Wireless Communications (at UPF, in Barcelona)
- I lecture on the Industry 4.0 (at UOC, Catalunya)
- I lecture on the Management of R&D+innovation activities for companies (at MBA courses and similar).
My academic background is:
- I completed a Master in Business Administration (MBA) in July 2016.
- I am Doctor in Wireless Communications (PhD) since February 2009.
- I hold a Master of Science (MSc) in Telecom Engineering since 2004.
- I love my family.
- I love my wife.
- I love my two little kids.
- I love practicing sports in a regular manner; padel, football, cycling, swimming, running, and scuba diving!
- I love music. Both playing and listening. I sing and play the piano, guitar, and the bass.
- What do I pursue in life? Happiness.