I am Jesus Alonso-Zarate.
As the Head of the M2M Communications Department at CTTC,
- I continuously learn about Innovation, Digital Transformation, and Technology.
- I continuously learn about the Internet of Things (IoT).
- I continuously learn about Wireless Connectivity Technologies for the IoT.
- I lead and conduct research in the above two areas and publish technical papers.
- I apply for, manage, and conduct R&D+i projects within H2020.
- I apply for, manage, and conduct R&D+i projects funded by ACCIO, CDTI and MINECO.
- I conduct Innovation Technology Transfer projects with companies.
- I give public talks on the IoT and related applications: Industry 4.0, Smart Grid, Connected Vehicle, etc.
I also collaborate with the following universities:
- I teach on the IoT (at UPF, in Barcelona)
- I teach on the Industry 4.0 (at UOC, Catalunya)
- I teach on the Management of R&D+i activities for companies (at MBA courses).
My academic background is:
- I completed a Master in Business Administration (MBA) in July 2016.
- I am Doctor in Wireless Communications (PhD) since February 2009.
- I hold a Master of Science (MSc) in Telecom Engineering since 2004.
- I love practicing sports; padel, football, cycling, swimming, running, and scuba diving!
- I love music. Both playing and listening. I sing and play the piano, guitar, and the bass.
- I love my family.
- I love my wife.
Key Figures and Technical Facts (last update 25th July 2017)
- 5 mass media publications and appearances.
- 31 keynotes, invited talks, and courses given.
- 16 tutorials in international conferences.
- 7 key editorial appointments.
- Participation in 17 competitive public‐funded R&D Projects (Principal Investigator in 3 of them), funded by the European Commission (FP7 and H2020), GENCAT, MINECO and European Space Agency (eSA).
- 1 Authored Book on the topic of Contention Based Communication Technologies.
- 12 Book Chapters in the topic of Wireless Communications.
- 3 White papers with European Industry.
- 7 Technology Transfer Projects.
- 1 Co-Authored Patent.
- 38 Peer‐reviewed Journal Papers.
- 86 Papers in International Conferences.
- H‐Index: 16, i10‐Index: 28 (as of 25th July 2017; Google Scholar, 1,200 citations).
- Supervised 5 PhD Students.
- Member of the Expert Group of the Networld2020 ETP towards 5G.
Dr. Jesus Alonso-Zarate – PhD and MBA – received his M.Sc. (with Honors) and Ph.D. (Cum Laude) degrees in Telecommunication Engineering from the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC, Spain) in March 2004 and February 2009, respectively. He also completed a Master of Business Administration (MBA) at the Executive and Business School of UPC in July 2016. He is Senior Member of the IEEE since 2013. In 2005, he was awarded by the National Telecommunication Agency (COIT) of Spain with the Best Master Thesis Award in ICT and in 2011 he received the UPC Award for his PhD thesis.
He is now with the CTTC (Barcelona, Spain) holding a Senior Research Associate position and is Head of the M2M Department and Manager of the Communication Technologies Division. Since 2016, he is also adjunct professor at Universitat Pompeu i Fabra (UPF), lecturing on the Internet of Things.
He has published more than 140 scientific papers in renowned international journals (IEEE Wireless Communications Magazine, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, etc.) and international conferences (IEEE ICC, IEEE GLOBECOM, IEEE PIMRC, IEEE VTC, etc.). He has accumulated more than 950 citations in the last 6 years, and has an h-index of 15 and i10 index of 21.
Over the last years he has participated in a number of collaborative European-funded projects, projects funded by the European Space Agency (ESA), research projects funded by the Spanish Government, and also technology transfer projects with direct contracts with companies, being principal investigator in some of them.
He is member of the Expert Advisory Group of the NetWorld2010 European Technology Platform (ETP) promoting the development of 5G technologies.
He is member of the IEEE ComSoc CSIM Technical Committee (Communication Systems Integration and Modeling) and works as reviewer and chair for numerous international conferences. Since April 2015, he is Editor-in-Chief of the European Alliance for Innovation (EAI) Endorsed Transactions on the Internet of Things (IoT). In addition, he is part of the Editorial Board of the IET Wireless Sensor Systems Journal and the Wiley Transactions on Emerging Telecommunication Technologies (ETT). He has received various international awards in international IEEE conferences and journals.
Since 2010, he has been giving a number of invited talks and tutorials on the Internet of Things (IoT) and Machine-to-Machine (M2M) communications all around the globe in prestigious international events and conferences, such as IEEE GLOBECOM, IEEE ICC, IEEE WCNC, or IEEE PIMRC.