Awards and Recognitions:
- 2019: Young Researcher Award by the Spanish Royal Academy of Engineering (www.raing.es). The “Agustin de Betancourt y Molina” Prize recognizes young research engineers (under the age of 40) for their research contributions in the area of engineering aimed at fostering innovation in the market.
- 2014: INFOCOM Best Demo Runner-up Award, for the demo by P. Tuset-Peiró, F. Vazquez-Gallego, J. Alonso-Zarate, L. Alonso, X. Vilajosana, entitled “Demonstrating Low-Power Distributed Queuing for Active RFID Communications at 433 MHz,” presented at INFOCOM 2014, Toronto, Canada, May 2014.
- 2013: EURASIP 2013 Best Paper Award for the Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, for the paper by J. Alonso-Zarate, E. Kartsakli, Ch. Verikoukis, L. Alonso, entitled “Persistent RCSMA: A MAC protocol for a distributed cooperative ARQ scheme in wireless networks” EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, Volume 2008. doi:10.1155/2008/817401. (http://www.eurasip.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=104&Itemid=108)
- 2011: UPC: Premi Extraordinari de Doctorat 2008/2009 FIELD: Information and Communication Technologies. UPC Best Doctoral Thesis in Information and Communications Technologies. Promotion: 2008/2009.
- 2011: BEST PAPER AWARD IEEE ICC 2011: J. Alonso-Zárate, E. Stavrou, A. Stamou, P. Angelidis, L. Alonso, and Ch. Verikoukis, “Energy-Efficiency Evaluation of a Medium Access Control Protocol for Cooperative ARQ,” in proc. of the IEEE ICC 2011, Kyoto, Japan.
- 2005: ALCATEL Prize to the Best Master Thesis Dissertation of 2004 in Mobility and Multimedia in Telecommunications, given by the Colegio Oficial de Ingenieros and the Spanish Telecommunication Engineers Association (COIT/AEIT, Spain).
- 1998: Honor Distinction – COU (Pre-University Course). IES Les Marines, Castelldefels, Barcelona, Spain.
- 2005-2009: I was granted by the Centre Tecnològic de Telecomunicacions de Catalunya (CTTC) PhD Fellowship Program.
- 2006: I was granted by the European Space Agency (ESA) and by the Generalitat de Catalunya to attend the Summer Session Program 2006 (SPP’06)of the International Space University.
- 2001-2004: I was granted by the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya to work as a research assistant within the Radio Communications Research Group of the Department of Signal Theory and Communications of the UPC, from January 2001 to February 2004.